I have written previously about the fact that we are all on our own unique life journey – one that presents us with choices that influence the direction and outcomes that we are seeking.
Wealth creators are intimately familiar the part of the journey that is focused on success, and particularly financial success. However, most wealth creators don’t understand how to shift their lives from a journey of success to a journey of significance. They want to have an impact and see positive change in their lives and the world, but many times don’t know what steps to take. They even talk about wanting significance in their lives but very few people actually take action.
I recently moderated an event that was co-sponsored by Highland and Social Venture Partners, a Seattle-based network of engaged philanthropic donors, titled “How to Identify Your Ideal Outcomes for Philanthropy & Gifting.”
I have included a short video clip that describes what I’m talking about.
The evening provided five powerful insights that can shift your life path towards more significance and impact:
- Action is required. It takes courage to move from a position of talking about significance to doing something about it.
- Alignment is key. Aligning your values, passions, beliefs, and unique gifts to your money and your business pursuits is an important step in creating energy and momentum towards your ideal outcomes.
- Use money as a tool, not a solution. Writing checks is important, but it can also create avoidance or distance from exploring your maximum impact on the world.
- Adjust as you go. The journey doesn’t need to be fully vetted before you start. Learning and adjustments will occur along the way and this is part of the process.
- Be open to unexpected opportunities. These are often the most rewarding experiences of your philanthropic journey.
What if more wealth creators took action towards significance?
In another post, I am going to expand on what causes wealth creators to get stuck on their journey towards significance.
- Taking Stock of Your Life
- The Power of Authenticity
- Is It Time to Consider a Donor-Advised Fund?
- Money and the Pursuit of Happiness
- The Simple Truths About Financial Independence
2 Responses to “Moving From Success to Significance: Five Insights”
February 24th, 2010 at 5:23 am
Getting (Un) Stuck On the Road to Significance | The Wealth Clarity Blog Says:
[...] Subscribe « Moving From Success to Significance: Five Insights [...]
March 22nd, 2010 at 10:02 pm
The Antidote for Enemy #1: Financial Complexity | The Wealth Clarity Blog Says:
[...] last few posts describe the journey from success to significance and why so many wealth creators don’t get there — not for lack of trying. The problem is they [...]